Sunday, September 29, 2019

Coming Unto Christ - Stake Conference 9/29/19

Good morning, brothers and sisters. My name is Anna Auger and I belong to the Wilford YSA ward. I am so humbled for the opportunity to speak with you today. This morning, I would like to talk with you on the importance of coming to Christ. This year, I have truly come to know more about the Savior than I think I ever have in my life. I think that we all come to know the Savior through many different experiences while we are here on this earth. I would like to share with you a few of the lessons I have learned this year, regarding Christ. 

One way that I have come closer to Christ is by carefully and persistently studying the Come, Follow Me manual. I must admit that there were times this year where I was not as diligent as I would have liked to be. I had an experience this year that caused me to feel disconnected from the Savior for a short time. Let me be clear – I felt disconnected, but the Savior was always there for me, with his arms outstretched. Since this short period in my year, I have gotten back on track with the weekly lessons. If you are not up to date, go back and study the teachings, miracles and parables of Christ’s ministry. It will be worth your time. Even if it is not on the timeline that was given within the manual. Learning of Christ has helped me to better emulate Christ, because I know Him. 

I would like to speak with you all regarding a concept I feel is imperative for us to come closer to Christ, our worth. Our worth does not ever change from the moment we take our first breath to the moment we take our last breath. It is never diminished by the choices that we make throughout this life. We are worth everything to God. Do you believe that about yourself? (pause for effect) If not, I urge you to get on your knees and ask God what you mean to Him. President Nelson has shared the following message “Learn for yourselves who you really are. Ask your Heavenly Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, how He feels about you and your mission here on earth.” You matter, you are important, you are everything and more to a Father who gave His Son to us. He gave US, every single one of you in this room and on this earth, His only begotten Son. Jesus Christ died so that we could have our own experiences in this life to come closer to Him. Heavenly Father provided a way for us to return to live with Him in all His glory. It is through the Son of God, Jesus Christ Himself, that we are literally saved. We can rest assured that whatever we are doing, feeling, hoping, wishing, wanting, Christ is already there. He has already suffered and walked the path that we are each individually walking. We will never be alone in this life, and that is by the grace of our Savior. 

I learned this year what it truly means to be honest. Honest with myself and others about where I am at and how I need to progress and move forward in my life. I can attest that if we are not honest with ourselves about our trials, our shortcomings, our behaviors, we cannot truly progress. If we are not honest with ourselves – how can we truly fix and work on ourselves? I believe that we can only truly love others as much as we love ourselves. Our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self-acceptance. We must take care of ourselves. We would do better to practice empathy, not sympathy. Empathy means – I will walk this path with you, holding your hand, listening to your pains and sorrows. Sympathy is merely waving as we watch someone else walk that path alone. It is “I am so sorry for you, not with you.” May we be more like the Savior and be WITH each other. Our Heavenly Father needs us to care for one another. 

            The final topic I would like to discuss is how we listen and hear each other and within that, shame and vulnerability. I know that by being kind and accepting of one another, we can further reach our divine potential. Brene Brown shares the following quote, "Shame is the intensely painful feeling or experience of believing that we are flawed and therefore unworthy of love and belonging. The reason this is essential, is because we are hard wired for love and belonging. We are hardwired for connection, it's what gives purpose and meaning to our lives. Shame is the belief that we are unworthy of connection or the fear of disconnection. You don't have do something or engage in something shaming to feel shame. Just the fear that someone will find out what we've been through, what we've experienced, what we've survived, where we come from, and the fear is ultimately that we're unworthy of love and belonging. Where there is an absence of love and belonging, there is always suffering." Each of us is worthy of love, understanding, deep connection and kindness. The adversary is working tirelessly to break our bonds with our Father in Heaven and even each other. Let’s make them stronger. May we all be considerate of one another’s feelings. May we give each other the space to grow, repent and change. May we love as the Savior loved. May we treat each other with respect and kindness always. 

In closing, I know that if we study the scriptures and Christ’s life, we will come to know Him. I am grateful for a loving father who ensured that my worth would always be of great magnitude to Him. I am thankful for my experiences which have brought me deeply closer to my Savior. I know that Christ lives, loves and cherishes each one of us. He loves you, He hears you. The Savior is waiting, come unto Him. I say these things, in the name of our beloved brother, even Jesus Christ. Amen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment